My daughter, and I agree that when referring to our female circle of friends “Steel Magnolias” is by far the most accurate way to classify the girls. The combination of friendships in that movie pretty much covers the majority of personalities found in our female circle of friends. I’m betting there are a lot of other women out there smiling, and nodding as you read this post. I’m gonna have to ask Jay from the fantastic blog “Assholes Watching Movies,” what the male counter movie would be for the men.
Let’s clarify the personality types for the one possible single female out there who has missed the ultimate girl movie of all times.
- M’Lynn Eaton- Who is played by Sally Field. She is the strong silent type in her group. She is the one with the great relationship, supermom, and the one everyone comes to for advice. The proverbial rock in the group. She’s the listener, the friend who gets to hear everyone’s deepest darkest secrets because everyone knows she will take your secret to the grave.
- Shelby Eaton- Who is played by Julia Roberts. She is the carefree, live in the moment type, and I quote “I would rather have thirty minutes of something wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.” She’s warm-hearted, and the one you go to when you need to borrow some courage to live your life wide open.
- Truvy Jones- Who is played by Dolly Parton. She is the romantic sweetheart of the group. Slightly insecure, and highly curious/gossipy in a fun-loving way.
- Clairee Belcher- Who is played by Olympia Dukakis. She is the funny one of the group. She can can bring your group from tears to laughter in the blink of an eye. An astute observer of human nature with twist of sarcasm. The one most likely to “poke the bear” to amuse herself.
- Annelle Dupry- Who is played by Daryl Hannah. She’s the more reserved one in the group.Happy to be out of the spot light. She’s always searching for her place in life, never really feeling completely comfortable in her own skin. Loyal & supportive.
- Ouiser Boudreaux- Who is played by Shirley MacLaine. She is the character of the group. Outspoken, glass half empty type. She uses a shield of negativity as protective armor, in an attempt to hide her soft little underbelly. The disgruntled meanie with a heart of gold.
Just as in every circle of friends each personality brings something unique to the group. A kind of balance that makes life sweeter! I would have to rate my daughter as the combination of predominately #4, with a strong side order of 2 & 6. As for myself (Always harder to see yourself 😉 ) I think I’m a #1, #4, and a #6. Which friend are you?